Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Monday, August 28, 2006

AM Barthes

Phew! If only Balzac and Tolstoy knew!
Why do I feel like a lab rat that just ran a through a maze? Barthes (sure has) a way with words, doesn't he? If the (parenthetical) comments weren't distracting, then his italics sure were. Gees! Who was his editor? I feel like I couldn't get his point without reading his passage from, "The Pleasure of the Text" a few times. So, according to Barthes, I utilized his "applied" reading technique; slowly. In doing so, I admit I felt as though I was gaining comprehension, but somehow missing the warmth and humanistic quality of the piece. I would rather consider some other perspective on the categorization of reading. Partly because I am not otherwise familiar with Barthes and question his sources. Who is he and who ordained him the holier-than-thou word god? And why do I feel like he would judge me upon completion of reading his essay? Regardless of my insecurities, I think Balzac and Tolstoy would be less than happy if they knew their art were to be broken down and labeled like the bones of a skeleton.

1 Comments:

Blogger Notorious Dr. Rog said...

AM
I want you to dig deeper. Pick an idea or sentence and really look into it. Did you do a post-class blog from the first night? I didn't see it.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home