Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Friday, August 25, 2006

E.M. After Class Post

I believe this class is going to make me think. In-fact I believe it will require me to think about things I would rather not give too much deep thought. Such as just how manipulated we are as consumers. Or how often politicians work off of our fears. Our channels of information each day are cut up into neat sound bites. We (society) are spoon fed information like pabulum. Our information age has made us lazy due to the vast amounts of information at our finger tips.As readers, we become the arbiters of what is valid or valuable information. Sometimes I feel like a tsunami of information is flooding over me each and every day. I must pick and sort though what is being offered up. I am hoping this class will give me the tools to be a better sorter. I will value or devalue information with a better lens. I did not think I could possibly get more cynical about the media or our modern world, but I'm open to the challenge. This is one class I can and will not allow myself to get behind in the required reading. As it seems to be rather demanding. I am glad that I have several friends in this class. This will allow me ample opportunity to discuss our lectures and reading assignments. Another post mentioned the man behind the curtain - We are now getting that peak at the mechanism which propels the machine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Notorious Dr. Rog said...

Couple o' thoughts:
1) Write more--explore your ideas more deeply;
2) Post your post-class blog with the class date after your name: E.M. 8/22 (makes it easier to tag and search)

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home