Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

sardine -- 9/22 -- disposable diapers

“All individuals they are absolutely replaceable, pure nothingness, and are made aware of this as soon as time deprives them of their sameness” (Horkheimer & Adorno p. 57).

I seem to be catching up with what is happening at the U.N. through the comedians. Chavez said Bush is the Devil. Bush is trying to avoid Ahmadinejad. And… yeah, Virgin is going to save the Earth from Judgment Day.

Then, the big headlines: Wal-Mart is going to offer generic prescription medications (only a few) at four dollars for a thirty day supply! The drug companies and pharmacy chains’ stocks started falling. Poor drug companies. Poor drug stores. I feel so sorry for them. And Wal-Mart… What are those guys up to?

I buy American. My underwear was made in Utah. I threw away my Dixie Chicks. I have a flag decal on my SUV.

I voted!

Fascism hits home. I am nothing. I am disposable. I am one of the now forty-six million people in the United States without health insurance. Actually, this last time I chose to decline it. I had been paying out of pocket for a while, and I know what I had been spending. It is fear that gets us patriotic Americans to pay up to a third of our income on health insurance premiums. Our fear is a commodity.

Do the numbers. Forget the fear.

Do you really think you will keep the job you have if you get extremely sick? Do you think you will be able to afford the insurance premiums after you are suddenly made redundant?

Hello doctors and hospitals who will not take you except in an emergency where and when they will quickly dump you. Hello jumping through hoops to try getting assistance. Hello credit checks and bill collectors. Goodbye savings. Goodbye house. Goodbye car. Hello bankruptcy. Oh right. That’s been messed with recently. Shit… What’s left? Maybe Chavez will set up free health clinics in the U.S. too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home