Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Friday, August 25, 2006

SF 8/25

Look at me! I'm blogging! This is a practice I've been opposed to since its inception. Blogging is a product of our postmodern culture in which the only opinion that matters is your own, and the otherwise apathetic sputter mindlessly on about how creamy peanut butter is fundamentally superior to crunchy in both form and function. Well, that and the twelve-year-old girls who steal my photos to plaster all over their MySpace next to photos of their dog, Nicole, and their idol Paris Hilton. But I transgress.

I will admit that somehow in class the practice of blogging seemed so much easier than actually doing it. Perhaps I shouldn't have read everyone else's blogs before posting my own? Talk about intimidating! On the other hand, what else should I expect from a class of (largely senior) English majors? I somehow feel the need to weave in some very large words now that I don't quite understand, but yet feel will elevate the intellectual level of my post. So here is my Prodigious Locution. Done (and I feel better for it).

On a happier note, it seems that soon the days will be gone in which I could mindlessly veg in front of the television without thinking (or needing to think) about the ways in which the media and advertising influence my thinking. And so a change is underway. Just the other day I was watching television during my lunch break, at a job that is more meaningless than God (how’s that for a postmodern statement?), when Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report started talking about how we as a nation do not have any great advertising campaign to bring us together (citing Wendy’s “Where’s the Beef” as the last great advertising campaign that every American enjoyed). He chose Kraft’s new commercial, “It’s Crumbelievable,” advertising their new cheese crumbles (“when shredded cheese is too shredded and block cheese is just too blocky”) as America’s next great advertising campaign. He then applied the same concept to our culture, saying that we were Crumbelievable (breaking off into parts with nothing strong to unite us). He went on to make some striking critiques against our Postmodern culture for which I do not remember. Unfortunately, as a product of our Postmodern culture I have developed a severely short memory and more than a little ADD.

Which brings me to my final point: crunchy peanut butter rocks.

2 Comments:

Blogger blogsquatch said...

Amen -- crunchy peanut butter is THE reason to keep on living. Don't worry -- I'm in the senior/english major category and was intimidated too. Having such an insightful group can only be a good thing. Hurray to intellectual mooching.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Notorious Dr. Rog said...

You're on the right trail here--keep crunching your PB (pomo blogs).

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home