Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

STEVE-O 8/29

So what stuck out to me in class this week.....

Take a guess...

No, your wrong...

just joking, you're right...

Sike, I lied.....

The concept of intentional fallacy is one that I find very intriguing. I think as English majors, and human beings in the 21st century, There is a subliminal push to figure out what an author, architect, ad executive, director, producer, artist..ect. ect. is "REALLY" trying to do or say or express.There may be definitive answers for say commercials or movies, but when it comes to creative works, like art and fictional writing, there might be a direction or implicit goal of the creator and yet just as Barthes said,
"The pleasure of the text is that moment when my body pursues its own ideas-- for my body does not have the same ideas I do" (C. pg#111). Does this not apply to the writerly text as well as the readerly text. This phenomenon must occur in the creation process just as it does in the...recreation process-- congruent with Jencks' unlimited semiosis concept found in rule #10.

Dr. Casey gave us a simplistic comapirison between Theory and Philosophy. Philosophy tries to nail down an idea as finite where, in class this semester, we will try to understand and apply ideas without the need of determining there validity in an absolute manner. There won't be a so called right or wrong answer to Postmodernism...just a vast "ununified view". In order to keep this open mind we mustn't give way to our humanistic impulse to conjure up intentional fallacies... of even the theorists themselves.

I finally had an opportunity last semester to explore my creative inner being by writing a piece of fictional literature. What I discovered is that although I had a direction or idea for the story, I hit a "zone" in my writing when my body (or as Dr. Laws calls it, My Black Box) took over and it was as if I was just along for the ride. When reading these theorists I can't help but think they too entered this fog...or enlightenment...of creativity. A place where you know exactly what your doing but have no clue how or why it's happening...No intention...just a feeling of being alive.

Perfection Is Perfected In My Land Of Understand


1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home