Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

E.M. After Class 9-19 Post

"To be entertained is to be in agreement" - from our Benjamin/Adorno lecture last week. So in other words - if I reach for the national enquirer and I read it even if I'm just standing in the check out line. And it says that Paris Hilton is a alien - I am entertained -this must mean that I am in agreement. Paris Hilton is part of what I call " cult of the personality" people who are famous for being famous. They set fashion trends. Our class last week reminded me of a marketing tool. They look for the alpha teenagers - those who set styles and give them free clothes. They then set fashion and in turn sales of certain clothes go up. Fashion is one part of the Post modern culture that changes quickly - that which is hip cool and in fashion. Once this happens and you see it on the hangers at kmark then it is out. The avant guard concept - once it becomes avant guard it is no longer in fashion it becomes old and dated. I was watching Aeon Flux the movie - Her hair changed color at each point of the movie depending on her mood or her surroundings. Will this be the new trend to keep jaded over stimulated people from becoming burned out. Our future is often portrayed as harsh and manipulated by corporations and goverment. Are we being conditioned to believe that this is inevidable or are we being warned so we can stop the process. I beleive to try to stop this process is futile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home