Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mony Post-class Bourdieu/ Chomsky

Okay, I am really behind on the blogging.Bare with me.

I know that when I turn on the TV I am receiving a filtered source of reality and this is a reality in which I have become a participating member. I did not realize this until a friend said that every time I watch television, I seem to feed off some of the characters and story lines and in turn become one of the actors for the hour that I am observing. Ahh…could I be doing this? I do relate to Carrie Bradshaw and the Gilmore Girls, but does this mean I want to be them? I do know that when I see Carrie struggling with relationships I find a bit of solace, because I know that there is a writer somewhere behind the scenes, who probably has struggled with this issue. After the “Chomsky” class though, I know that the writer’s feelings are filtered through a wave of influences and the initial messages are lost in the process. Even though I am not talking about the news like the theorists did, this is connected with all that we watch. Every thing is filtered, even Oprah.

I used to think John Stossel form ABC’s news show 20/20 was really doing some good. He would report in his segments titled “Stupid in America” about all the products that were duds, and all the “duds” that were selling them. Then during one broadcast I saw an ad during the commercials of one of the opponent’s products. What ever! Now I realize that he is only feeding the machine. I clicked the remote when I saw him last week and didn’t feel an ounce of guilt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home