Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

JOH 8/29

Great session!
Now, in an effort to truly ground myself in what Barthe sets forth, I will not say many of the intriguing things that I have planned and so dedicatedly constructed in my thoughts/nonthoughts. It is up to you, in readerly fashion, to assemble a magnificent realization from the mere ramblings of my half-confused, nervous, virgin-PoMo mind.

The concept of tmesis is what stuck the deepest from our second session together. Upon reflection of our exercise "a short story," and our discussion of the theorists, as well as our tour of architecture, I can't help but return to Barthes' notions of the insertion of meaning and its relationship(s) to the absent or the malleable. Disappointingly, I have yet to experience jouissance, truly, but I do believe its there. Hidden. Behind my clouded mind. I feel a bit like the kid on the outside of really appealing game. I want to get in, I want to get involved, cause I'm sure I'll dig it true, yet I wander around the fringe, among the spectators - unable to penetrate to the insulated goodness.

******* PENETRATE HERE *******

So, tmesis. We know that it's applied in literature and in architecture - still to be explored for me. Remember ... on the fringe. But isn't it the same property that triggers the rumors, heresy, and automatic listening in many relationships, workplaces, churches, cafes, schools, PoMo classrooms, large white houses, and back room massage shacks?
Narrative + my version = TRUTH. No? Irritating? I would agree. But we're social creatures man! There often seems to be a negative connotation attached to the act of assigning one's own meaning to others business. At least such a vibe escapes from my ego more than I hope it does in the future.

What makes tmesis in fictional narrative (the intentional, artistic type) and in architecture so exciting, so PoMo? And what is it about the rumor, heresy, auto-listening version that makes so many people grit through potentially damage causing clenched jaws? It would seem that the writer/creator's intention(s) play a vital role. Does it sting when it's your business, others business, or any business that is being violated? When a person massages a narrative text, slips it a velvet bookmark, and has their way with the structure - should they feel remorse? Should the passerby intervene? Should the creator care?

Great second session, great words, great pics, great discussion - I am glad to be involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home