Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

ginny t. 9/19

I walked out of class Tuesday feeling a little uneasy, and not because I found out that it was "Talk Like A Pirate" Day. Instead, the unease came from a creeping sense of recognition.... While I fully admit to being a platinum card-carrying member of the consumer culture these theorists are constantly touting as the downfall of society, I also realized that day that I am firmly entrenched in the "culture of distraction." When I'm not grappling with concepts for this class, you can often find me picking up a pre-made dinner on the way home from school, bidding for Louis Vuitton bags on eBay, and/or eagerly watching the latest episode of America's Next Top Model. As trite and shallow as that may seem, that is pretty much my life, in a tiny, glittery nutshell. Arg, matey.

Distraction is good, though. If I'm distracted by things like work and decorating my house and Tyra Banks, then I won't have to concentrate so hard on the fact that the world literally seems like it's going to Hell in a (designer) hand basket. And frankly, what can I do to change the course for all of humanity? Sure, I can be a conscientious consumer, and I try -- I didn't even try to win that LV bag from eBay, the guilt and blatant frivolity was just too much -- but really, what power do I have to make a difference? The only thing I can do is attempt to live an "authentic life," whatever that means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home