Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Monday, September 25, 2006

TyG - Baudrillard - God, It's True, I Love PoMo.

But wait.

It seems there is no God. Baudrillard proclaims that there has never been a God, "that deep down God never existed, that only the simulacrum ever existed, [. . .] that God himself was never anything but his own simulacrum" (455).
B. claims further that "if God himself can be simulated [. . .] then the whole system becomes weightless, it is no longer itself anything but a gigantic simulacrum [. . .] in an uninterrupted circuit without reference or circumference" (456).
And what is "true?" No God, no truth, huh? It's all just a golem, created out of mud, the stuff of fairy-tales. Likewise, "love" -- can there be "love" if there's no God and nothing is true? Isn't love just another instance of simulacra running amok; don't we just love what we imagine our love object to be?

Wow.

I do not speak English.

I do not understand English.

I once thought I did, and that I was reasonably well-equipped to read and understand and communicate messages as well. No longer.

I must learn French.

French is clearly the language of the thinker, the philospher, the sage, and Baudrillard is most certainly the modern-day prophet around which today's society must revolve. Even the brilliant Frederick Jameson, a mere American, must bow down in adoration to the thoughts of this exceptional man.

OK, turn sarcasm switch off.

I must confess that I do not follow the vast majority of B's arguments. Small bits and pieces seem to make sense, to communicate, but huge swaths appear to be the ramblings of a human being in desperate need of medication.

Why does Disneyworld have to "mean" anything, other than the obvious-to-any-central-Floridian blatant carny, separate-the-mark-from-his-money message?
Walt Disney was something of a creative genius, a "dreamer and do-er," but I somehow doubt he followed any of the far-out logical rabbit trails that B. argues.

B's thoughts on nuclear deterrence takes us down an argument that will only be countered if some lunatic finally pushes the button, so I hope he's right on this one, but I doubt it. I've met enough of humanity in my few years on earth to have confidence in our ability to commit stupid, self-destructive acts; so why does this man make pretty statements like "Deterrence precludes (makes IMPOSSIBLE) war" and "The balance of terror is the terror of balance"? All it takes is one nut-job (read: chemically-imbalanced individual) who goes into work at the missle silo with a migraine and the means to coerce the other key-holder and we have Armageddon, Ragnarok, Apocalypse, pick your end-of-the-world scenario.

Even granting that a philosopher's job is to come up with questions, not answers, why does B. insist on trying to reinvent the language and twist it into knots of non-meaning? I have a mental image of old Jean, sitting in a corner by himself, just thinking himself into frisson after frisson: "oooh-la-la, that's a good one, that'll really stir up some shit." Maybe his thoughts on lack-of-god are arranged so he can aptheosize himself into the omnipotent not-god of his dreams.

I wish I felt better after getting this all off my chest. Maybe I should have written on Eco.

2 Comments:

Blogger blogsquatch said...

Maybe we should all read each other's blog name according to French pronunciation, since English is such inadequate vernacular.

RB (Air Bee)

4:43 PM  
Blogger blogsquatch said...

actually, you would be HerBe, (silent H) similar to HerGe the creator of Tin Tin

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home