Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

CL 9/19

This week in class I was struck with the notion that so much of what was said about postmodernism sixty years ago is still completely relevant today. One quote in particular seemed especially relevant:

"Culture today is infecting everything with sameness."

Now I realize that, just as we discussed in class, that this is about the Nazis in the 1940s, but it is still completely applicable today. Our (American) culture is becoming more and more similar with each passing year. We discussed in class how no matter where you go, there are McDonald's on every corner. It has become possible to be in the same place wherever you are in the country, the only thing that is different is the people have slightly different variations of accents.

This is not only true of McDonald's, but also-the other bog one- Starbucks. We love Starbucks because of it's high-quality coffee and quick service. But, quite obviously, it is consuming almost every small-chain or independently owned coffee house in the country. Our culture is truly being infected with sameness.

I remember when there was one Starbucks close to my house as a kid. It was a treat when I was in highschool to drive all the way out to *gasp* the great metropolis that is Altamonte Springs (!) to hang out there. All the other cool kids from the other high schools would also come hang out there on a Thursday or Friday night, it was like a mecca for kids wearing plaid pants and t-shirts from the thrift store.

Now my friends and I try to avoid Starbucks at all cost. Whenever I am in a different city I find myself seeking out small, unique cafes and coffee houses to explore. Do I hold Starbucks in disdain? No- but I do not like the idea of traveling 2,000 miles to drink the same coffee and see the same people I can 2 blocks from my house. This whole coffee analogy aside, I cannot help but wonder, if our culture contains so much "sameness" now, what will we be like in 20 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home