Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mony Post-class 10/23

I am stuck in a panopticon.

I love conspiracy theories. Give me any literature, or movie on conspiracies and I am transfixed for hours. After talking about the concept of panopticons in class, I had an epiphany; I realized that my conspiracy theories are completely based on the panopticon form of imprisonment, but in this illustration it is not the inmates, it is the conspiracy theorists who are the prisoners.

I know that this is a crazy analogy, but let me tell you how I can relate the two. First in the typical panopticon structure the prisoners believe that there are guards in the tower, this can be compared to the conspiracy theorist believing that the government always has an underlying and secretive plan. Now, if there were no guards (conspiracies), the prisoners (conspiracy theorists) would never know this and still believe that the guards (conspiracies) have all the power, and still continue to remain powerless under their imaginary gaze. So with this in mind, I realize that the government used the concept of panopticon structure in keeping even conspiracy theorists in order, for they planted the idea of conspiracies in order for us to think they do have complete dominance over all services, when in reality - NO ONE HAS ANY POWER! This is the greatest conspiracy of them all.

1 Comments:

Blogger blogsquatch said...

Interesting post. I really like your observation that conspiracy theorists' beliefs in conspiracies is evidence of their imprisonment in the panopticon.

RB

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home