Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Monday, October 30, 2006

AS, Foucault

Foucault suggests that “inspection functions ceaselessly” (94). I hate the idea of this quote as much as I hate the truth behind it. We are watched, measured, and judged every day of our lives. My boss reviews my work; my coworkers can see what is displayed on my computer screen; I look at the car next to me and the driver is looking back. I can’t run a red light at 3am on a lonely stretch of road because a little camera is mounted high above, ready to catalogue any indiscretion. What is school if not a panopticon for students: are we smart enough, on task enough, what’s the difference between an “A” and an “A-“, and why does that little dash matter so much? The new honor code plaques mounted in every room (much like the cameras over traffic lights) serve as an all-knowing eye…our integrity is questioned in every room; our work is suspect unless stamped with the coded seal of approval. I’m taking one class where the professor opens each session with a quiz. The professor made such a deal about how easily students slide down the slope of desperation into cheating that the class was instantly on guard – we knew without a doubt we were being observed, and observed closely. Several students were so freaked out by the fear of accidentally violating the honor code that the professor suggested using a cover sheet. A cover sheet in college suggested by paranoia. No one had any thought to cheat, but we all felt guilty for even an idle glance around the room, and were fearful that a simple action could morph into an accusation. Fear is a great motivator, especially when there is nothing to fear. So now we cover our quizzes like good children, and watch our neighbors warily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home