Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Monday, October 23, 2006

E.M. Pre Class Post 10/23

"the fragment of darkness that we each carry within us"- Foucault or is it Moulder at the beginning of X-files. Warning us that we might wake up and become flesh eating monsters by lunch time. I believe that Foucault might have been a favorite theorist of a few of the X-files writers. Hmmm what gets people to watch TV night after night - sex and violence is good. Foucault is a rather morbid writer. Not that Jenkins was particulary joyful. He did manage to interject the more Marxist view on what propels man. Money, stuff, things - being scared. I believe that Jenkins and Foucault marry up quite well. One would mind the till the other would think of Frudian things to say about our deepest darkest urges. Sex, drugs and rock and roll. I don't think that sex today has the full on naughy-ness it once had. It is as though it has now graduated to a Olympic sport. And the East German Judge... in my humble view Foucalt's view of sex is perhaps a bit out dated. Or perhaps I just don't go to enough fettish clubs. Or maybe Foucault went to Amsterdam to do his research. Or maybe I think to much. Now that I've done all this reading these writers are starting to make sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home