Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Gary 11/14

Last blog post??? Say it isn't so! All that's left is a presentation, a laborious final, ice the writing hand, and then I leave postmodernism and return to my tradition re-interpreted life...sounds good to me. Can I consider myself part of the POMO world now?

It was an interesting exercise on Tuesday evening. I'm not sure if anything constructive was accomplished since the women spent most of the time complaining about the dominant male society, instead of giving solutions to the problem. I have always supported equal rights and I constantly wonder when you plan on taking them. I look past gender when I make decisions. I think that women in leadership roles feel that they have even more to prove to their male and female peers, and this drives them even harder.

It is time for women to gain the rights they deserve, but it needs to be accomplished through mutual cooperation of the male society. Burning of the bra in the seventies accomplished nothing except for providing some great footage. I'm sorry...typical male moment-breasts on the mind as usual. :>)

My wife has worked as an RN for twenty years. Her field is predominantly women, severely understaffed, mismanaged, and underpaid. (Capitalism?). I asked her the other day if things would be different if the nursing profession was a predominantly male career. We both broke out laughing because we knew how different it would be if it was a male job.

I inherited this world from my parents, and they had done a terrible job of improving it. Their generation lived by the phrase "that's the way it's always been". My generation has made substantial changes but their is a long way to go. Changing traditions is difficult but not impossible. Talking about it is a start, but it won't get it done...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home