Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Friday, November 17, 2006

MC - Hebdige

Hebdige talks a great deal about subculture and it's relation to the hegemony. He uses the Sex Pistols and the punk subculture as an example. I couldn't help but apply my own ethnic background to Hebdige's concept.

I think the subculture of Nuyoricans is commonly mistaken for genuine Puerto Rican culture. To clarify, an argument can be made between the Nuyorican Movement during the mid 20th century and the Nuyorican experience as I see it today. Plus, I have to provide a brief disclaimer in that I haven't had the time or the resources to provide proper research, therefore, I can't deny other valid, more researched arguments. I'm only making commentary based on my opinions in relation to Hebdige's idea of subcultures.

New York City was and is the main relocation point for migrating Puerto Ricans. They assimilated, started working and learning the American way. Nuyoricans emerged as a comibination of being raised or born in New York while having strong links with their Puerto Rican heritage. Most if us, now, are familiar with the term Nuyoricans. We all understand we're talking about Puerto Ricans, but are we? I define Nuyoricans as a subculture because they are actually a hybrid of American and Puerto Rican culture. There are differences. While they may retain Hispanic traditions or lifestyles they may or may not retain the Spanish language- transforming it into spanglish or simply losing it through the generations of english schools. Nuyoricans, I would argue, identify far more with urban lifestyles as a result of their migration. For example, while Reggaeton is defined as a synthesis of Jamaican reggae music and Latino pop music, it's gone in a new direction incorporating rap and hip hop.

Those from the island (they identify themselves as Boriqua) view themselves as distinctly different from 'Nuyoricans' who were most likely born and raised in the urban streets of New York City. When Hebdige discusses media hysteria to subculture, I recall Puerto Rican Day Parade fiascos that invovled violent or otherwise embarrassing incidients. Or, for that matter, the whole Daddy Yankee phenomenon.

I think what's concerning about this subculture phenomenon is that Nuyoricans do not represent the island of Puerto Rico. They represent the melting pot concept of a migrating Puerto Rican into the United States. A Puerto Rican who successfully lives and works in New York City. While that may seem baffling, I can only comment on my personal understanding and experience as a Puerto Rican born on the island yet raised in the states for nearly all my life. I don't want to imply that one is better than the other. I do, however, want to point out how similar to this punk culture Nuyoricans have been incorporated into "mass-produced objects". Nuyoricans (we've all see the bumper stickers, flags, caps and shirts) that have turned this subculture into a commodity.

But just as punk culture does not entirely represent the vast majority, so too Nuyoricans cannot concievably bear that weight without considering the difference between island raised Puerto Ricans. I could also write another blog post about how the island of Puerto Rico is essentially turning into an extension of the United States anyway so what is the difference but my head hurts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home