Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Monday, October 30, 2006

AS, 10/24

Did anyone else feel a sense of hopelessness when discussing Derrida? First, I found the reading very difficult. Then, our professor admitted the guy was on another playing field entirely – somewhere between lunacy and Mars. He is seeking God – a return to the beginning; what a bittersweet thought. I’m not sure God can be found, I think he must be felt. Primarily, I think we’re all seeking the same thing – a connection, an understanding. When I was 17, I went to Finland through an exchange program. Talk about DIFFERANCE. Only one person in the family of five I stayed with spoke English. Even then, we had a difficult time of it. Finnish is a very fluid, tonal language. Typically, native speakers will end their sentences with a sharp inhale that signals a completion of thought. It is a polite indication that the other may speak. I would rush and tumble over my English to the point where my host-sister thought I was rude and cutting her off. She spoke with no inflection, so I thought she didn’t like me. The others communicated through haphazard pantomime. Let’s just say “Bad doggie, stop eating my passport” doesn’t translate well in mime-speak. I took to walking through the village alone, just listening, trying to figure out what people were saying from watching their interactions. Then one day I heard the most beautiful sound: English, heavy on the Scottish. A Scottish missionary was passing out pamphlets in the market. I nearly wept with joy. I went that night to a cramped beige room, ate stale donuts and drank bitter tea – and felt at home because we understood each other. If finding the Ur is anything like finding the one other native English speaker in a 300 mile radius, it’s a fine feeling indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home