Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Friday, November 17, 2006

CL 11/14

So, we have come to the end of the road with the blogs. I cannot say I am not somewhat relieved, seeing how postmodern theory has taken over my every waking (and, sometimes, sleeping) thought. It was an interesting note to end on this week, with our heated debate, both spoken and written.

Cixous says "Every woman has known the torture of beginning to speak aloud" (pg 163). Much like we discussed on Tuesday night, this statement rings true for almost all women. I, for one, know that it rings true for me. I can think of numerous times, especialy at work, when I have tried to speak and have been "talked down to" by my male coworkers.

However, as bad as that statement sounds, I do not think it is because they think what they have to say is more important than what have to say (well, I am sure sometimes they do). I think that it is the natural way most men communicate with one another. They get louder and speak over one another, and no one's feelings are hurt. If a woman speaks loudly over another woman, it is considered rude (in most polite circles).

This also hurts a woman's feelings. While men may not be able to comprehend why something that is not meant to be hurtful, for women it can be, and sometimes extremely so. Cixous, I believe, understood this 'unspoken' (if you will) rule between women. I also think most men are not biologically wired to understand it. So when we were having our discussion in class, they were struck with a misunderstanding with what the women were talking about when we discussed the 'torture of beginning to speak aloud.' I believe that neither group (men and women) are 'right' or 'wrong'; I believe that it is a simple biological difference between us, and something that we must try and communicate so no one's feelings are hurt. I think Cixous would agree, because, I don't know about you, but I am not interested in seeing any sort of wilting-flower act from the smart women in the world, because they are afraid to speak in the presence of men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home