Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mony Post -Class Feminism.

I am so sad that I missed last Tuesda's class. Feminism is one of my favorite topics. I heard it was an female dominated discussion. I did go back and read the blogs - interesting stuff

I read Sardine’s blog and her comments about the negative terms associated with women. She said that one of the most insulting things that a woman can be labeled is a “bull dyke”, and I agree, that is low, but then I was reminded of something that I was told by a man a few years ago that deeply hurt me…he said to “stop acting like a cunt”. This was a label that I still do not understand. What does this word mean? And why has it become a horrible term that is associated with women, and at the same time a word that is often seen as empowering in certain circles? This is the ultimate undefined label.

I decided to reflect on my personal incident again and really dissect what this male had said. First, he chose to use the word “act” in connection to something that does not “act”, and second he decided to use a word that is negatively associated with females and female genitals in order to get his point across. He got it across all right. I left. But if one of my girlfriends had said this to me, I probably would have called her one right back.

There are books, a play, numerous paintings, and a song tilted after the wonderful “C” word. Women made the majority of these creations. Talk about the paradox of a man using this term compared to women. I actually bought the “C’ book because I thought it was empowering. Hmm…I am a walking contradiction. I was deeply hurt when a male used the world to insult me, yet at the same time I consider it a “hip” neo-feminist term. Help!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home