Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Mony Pre -class Butler.

“ The political assumption that there must be a universal basis for feminism, one which must be found in an identity assumed to exist cross-culturally, often accompanies the notion that the oppression of women has some singular form discernable in the universal hegemonic structure of patriarchy or masculine domination.” – Butler (191)

I hate the fact that every women’s studies course I have taken, whether it is literature, humanities, or history, states that we are living in a post-feminism era and the concept of feminism and feminists are dead. Ahh…this statement upsets me. I work in a male dominated field and I can tell you first hand, that I have to fight for equality in the workplace, for without my endeavors; I would have little or no professional movement. The glass ceiling would stop me dead in my tracks.

I know that when I call myself a feminist in a social situation, or the workplace, I will automatically repel quite a few men and women. “Oh no – not another scary feminist at the dinner party.” Why does this word have such a negative connotation? Why do some assume that because I am a feminist, I don’t shave my legs, I am a bull dyke, I hate men, or I sit around listening to Ani Difranco and the Indigo Girls all day. This is not the case. We live in a patriarchal society, and yes, I agree that women have come a far way, but we still remain blind to this hegemony. Look at politics - any woman who is slightly challenging, is labeled a bitch, or is considered too “polarizing”. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Day O’Connor come to mind. After graduating at the top of her class from Stanford Law, O’Connor was only offered legal secretary positions; she had to beg a firm to hire her as an attorney. Yes, times have changed, but not fully. We (men and women) must continue the fight for equality. I promise, women are not yet equal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home