Postmodern Culture

Everything you want to know about postmodernism, postmodernity, and postmodern culture. Your guide to achieving postmodern literacy from The Notorious Dr. Rog and the class of ENG 335 at Rollins College.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Steve-O They all lived happily ever after!

IS THIS REALLY THE END?

What A Long Strange Trip It Has Been!!!!

Before I talk about the brutal silence of last week’s class, I must help Cixous and her warped mentality on a heterosexual male’s thinking on homosexuality. Cixous writes, “Why does man fear being a woman?” (M 159). For me, it’s not being a woman I fear…Rather, it’s “the scepter’s great shadow” I fear!!! For good reason, there is NO God-given place for the “single idol” to go on a man’s body. When a straight male is thinking about sex with another man, he undoubtedly is thinking about the disturbing visual just described, Not, what being a woman might mean emotionally or even physically. If god gave man other orifices, who knows…BUT HE DIDN’T! Once again, we find a female theorist trying to rationalize topics, which could never be rightfully understood as an “OTHER.” She is making Huge generalizations and, mostly, is just under analyzing the greatest and most obvious concerns when it comes to guy on guy sexual relationships.

METROSEXUAL— a young, urban, heterosexual male with liberal political views, an interest in fashion, and a refined sense of taste.

Just wanted to put that out there for my readers to ponder, because if you read any of Cixous, you will find randomly placed or awkward wording. This is me being a woman…Cixous that is.

And let’s go where most of the male readers have been waiting for, Lesbianism- it just seems easier if not altogether a RIGHT thing for ladies to do. I think I will have to keep this observation short, I will just say, girls have an inherently more natural “Nature/Mind” for bisexual tendencies; that being said, “Femininity and bisexuality go together,” (M 160). I couldn’t have expressed it any better myself.

Is Cixous saying that for women to escape phallic authority, to refuse the patriarchal, to deny the other, they can resort to bisexuality?

I’m sure Cixous’s psychiatrist is a rich man/woman! Feud could have a riot with her grand generalizations on the plight of women. And if our in class experiment was to prove her case, Our POMO-Women would have not lived up to the hype. Yes, by not letting the men speak, the masculine ear was, or at least it seemed, attuned to the voices privileged to speak. However, in my opinion, I was listening more to what the in-class ladies had to say before the experiment then during. By taking away our right to speak, my want to listen was removed. I found myself in Cixous’s idea that “You never give something for nothing” (M 161).

And what good does writing do if it has to pass a bunch of empowered women before it is published. By giving the women the power to filter our comments, they felt they needed to enforce this power. If R.O.G. would have said, guys have to write, but nothing about the ladies having to agree with what was being said, things would have been different.

The good thing to come out of the experiment for me is a realization of perspective. It’s always a great thing to be able to see the “Other,” whatever that other may be. For change to take place, we must experience…

This semester has been one gigantic experience. I learned so much and I will continue to use the tools and ideas found over the last 15 weeks to deconstruct the Postmodern elements I come into contact with. Our classes have been amazing grounds for opinion, debate, growth, and insight…I enjoyed getting to learn with you guys…YOU ALL ROCK!!!!

ONE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home